One of the drawbacks to using Windows 7 is the limited file copying utility that comes with the OS. The built in utility is greatly improved in the newer Windows 8 but you don’t have to switch to power up the utility on your computer.
When you copy or move a file on Windows 7 you have some very limited options during the file copy process. The only action you can take during the file copy process is to cancel the operation. Along with limited commands the Windows file copying utility is notoriously know for given inaccurate amount of time remaining for the copy to complete. since you cannot trust the estimated time given for a file copy operation you are left unknowing how fast the files are being copied or if you are getting the correct transfer speeds to USB or network drives. so here’s a way to power up the windows 7 file copying utility.
Just about the only way to fix the poor file copying utility in Windows 7 is to replace it with a third-party software. TeraCopy is a free software you can download to drastically improve the file copying function on Windows 7. By downloading and installing TeraCopy you will gain access to many more features than the Windows file copying utility. Once you install TeraCopy it will become the default copying utility so you don’t have to manually run TeraCopy every time. So here are some features of TeraCopy:
- Copy files faster: TeraCopy uses dynamically adjusted buffers to reduce seek times. Asynchronous copy speeds up file transfer between two physical hard drives.
- Pause and resume file transfers: Pause copy process at any time to free up system resources and continue with a single click.
- Error recovery: In case of copy error, TeraCopy will try several times and in the worse case just skips the file, not terminating the entire transfer.
- Interactive file list: TeraCopy shows failed file transfers and lets you fix the problem and recopy only problem files.
- Shell integration: TeraCopy can completely replace Explorer copy and move functions, allowing you work with files as usual.
TeraCopy is an all powerful file copying utility that can speed up file transfers when copying large files. It is designed to copy and move files at the maximum possible speed. It skips bad files during the copying process, and then displays them at the end of the transfer so that you can see which ones need attention. TeraCopy can automatically check the copied files for errors by calculating their CRC checksum values. If you are copying files from USB drives or network shared drives TeraCopy will definitely improve your file copying on Windows 7. If you want to improve the Windows 7 file copying utility you should check out codesector.com and give TeraCopy a try.